Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hangover and first impressions


Uh oh.

My mind has been washed with alcohol. I vaguely remember a great many things, and quite plainly don't remember a great many more. Dinner was.. dinner. The food was good, not impressive, and so were the drinks. But something has donned on me. It isn't about the food, or the drinks, or how nice the beds are, how many pillows we get. To be honest, they could put some tepees up and serve warm Corona's and the effect would be the same. All the palm trees and plastic tables and snake-like pool are first impressions. First impressions wash away instantly under the solvent of alcohol and all that is left is an emotion. How do I FEEL about the wyndam resort in Cozumel? I feel like I'm 6 years old, I just walked into Toys 'R Us, and I can play with anything in the store while I'm here. I can ride the electric car, play with lincoln logs, legos, and all the like. As soon as we leave the fun is over, no bringing anything back. But while I'm here? .. I'm going to make the biggest, baddest lincoln log, lego, electric car castle you've ever seen.

Last night I couldn't stand it anymore, and ran down to the beach to put my hands in. The water here is the same temperature of a bath tub left to sit. It matches the air perfectly, luke warm, wet, and sticky. Just like the sand, not the soft powdery perfect on your toes sand we all imagine is superfluous in Mexico, but gritty sand. As if the island has been working against the tides to maintain its existence and the sand took the brunt of the load. It hurts in a wonderful way, reminding the sole of your feet that with every step, the soul of this island is what we're here for.

Today I'll try some true enrichment, and maybe I can keep sober enough to have the history sink in. Should I talk to people about this island's past, or find a good book? Right now that's my only concern. That and the beckoning of a sea kayak at my disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment