Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Arrival


Day 1

We're here. Warm, wet, wind whips past our glass walled balcony, expelling the stale, air conditioned room. Still trying to prepare the senses for mind-blowing indulgence. Everything is included. Stocked mini-fridge, room service, two restaurants, three bars, kayaks, boats, a pool that winds like a snake through the entire complex. Any one of these luxuries is more than I'm used to, but with them all together somehow it seems more palatable. When in Rome...

Flying was easy, direct flight to this tiny island. The ocean was beautifully bright on the way, with popcorn like clouds that I could have sworn were inches away from the water's surface. I zoned in and out, recovering from a night of $1 well drinks at the local dive with one of my best friend's the night before. He's in Denver doing some skiing, escaping the Georgia heat. And I'm in Mexico doing some.. indulging, escaping the Rocky Mountain cold.

Cozumel airport was perfectly sized, and perfectly slow. Something about warm wet air seems to relax the muscles, ease the stress. The hotel staff, so far being Sandy and Samuel, maintain a gentle urgency, though I think its solely for our benefit. We were explained many times over all of our options, dinners, drinks, etc etc.. each item ending with 'no extra charge.' I'm at a loss in a wonderful way. I know what is before me and what I can do, I guess I'm just trying to find the courage to let go of all the reservations I have about luxury.

When in Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment